Donate to TIER
True Innocents Equine Rescue
Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
Mailing Address: 17130 Van Buren Blvd., #45, Riverside, CA, 92504
Phone: 951-943-0627

Mary - #77. Blue Roan Draft Mare. Appx. 8-9 yrs. 18 hands. 4 white socks. Thin! This mare rides and drives, but she is sore in front. Someone has put a lot of money into her front feet. She has special shoes (borium? Don't know if that is right.) Also, her left front has stuff that looks like putty or filler in it. This mare is one of those gentle giants. She followed me all around the pen. Sweet, sweet girl. And HUGE!



As you know, Mary was doing quite well here, although her founder was much more extreme than the previous owner had led all of us to believe. She acted like our Auntie and adored the foals. Well, you know, you got our emails about Mary!

In the fall of 2001, she started to backslide badly. We of course immediately called out our vet, and he had very sad news for us. The circulation had stopped in Mary's feet, something that can happen with founder as severe as hers was. We did try a new round of medicines, to no avail.

Finally, in November, we made the decision to euthanize her. This girl was very popular in our area, everyone knew far and wide our farm from our Fjords and Mary, who, by the way was actually a Shire, not a Clyde. One of our neighbors came over with a backhoe early on a Saturday morning and started to dig a hole in Mary's pasture. The vet showed up about an hour later and we led her slowly to the hole. She could barely walk by then. He put her down very quickly.

Of course, all of us were in tears and our then 4 year old son went around the pasture gathering twigs, branches, leaves, grasses, and old flowers to put in her grave. We went and got her some flakes of hay and of course her favorite grain to add to her grave. Asa, our son, said he wanted her to remember where her home was.

In the next pasture, our Fjord stallion and two mares stood and watched the entire thing. Late that night, when we went out to feed, Engar, our stallion, was still standing vigil at the fenceline, overlooking Mary's grave.

A few days later, Asa, while going to bed, said, "Mommy, listen! Do you hear that?"

I said, "What, honey?"

He said, "Mary! I can hear Mary! She is running now, Mommy!"


Mary is doing exceptionally well. She is gaining weight well and is one of the friendliest horses on our farm. She adores the Norwegian Fjords, and we believe she thinks they are all foals she must watch out for! She is still in love with her "daddy" and is more attentive with him then I. She sees me as the "food bringer", which is a good thing, too. She had another trim done on her poor feet Saturday, and we are actually starting to see the real hooves! She is feeling much better, and is much perkier. I have a funny story to tell you about this.

The other day she was coming in from pasture and snuck through the gate. Well, I should not say snuck, I was standing there getting her halter on and she decided it was time to go, so off she went. First, she had to explore all the trees, grass, and then she decided to go visit the new rescue horses who were in the round pen. She pranced around the pen, trotting AND cantering, quite proud of herself. I finally decided I had had enough of these antics, so went off to try to lure her with grain. HA. I took the grain bucket, held it over my head, shook it, and called...MARY!!...from the barn. All of a sudden, she turned that massive head, perked her ears, and CHARGED at a full tilt gallop in my direction! I said in so many words, OH MY, and ran to the barn! She came roaring around the corner, skidded to a halt, then very slowly entered the barn and walked into her stall. She is so funny!


She is doing awesomely well. We bring her out to pasture a few hours each day, and for about the last two weeks, all she would do is stand in the corner closest to the horses/us/barn and gaze mournfully at all of us. We would give her a tiny flake of hay so she would not feel "left out", but were hoping evenually she would graze. Well, yesterday was her big day! Dan went out to get her and she was grazing up a storm! She even had pine needles stuck in her forelock. hehe The only way that could have happened is if she was playing in a small grove of pine trees in the pasture. We also found shavings in her forelock this morning, indicating she is finally starting to lie down in her stall at night.

She is quite the tear jerker, I must say. No one can enter the barn without her getting at least a pet from them. She also is really starting to LOVE her food! She practically drools now at feeding time, whereas before, she really did not understand what was going on.

She is a beauty, got a bath and is quite proud of herself. Hopefully soon, you will have pics!

Lynda and Daniel


Mary, who by the way, is a Shire, is doing very well. Her coat is starting  to become glossy, and we are starting to see her hips filling out. Even though she was ill when she arrived, it appears her upper respiratory infection is gone, as is any related stress problems we were treating her for. She did manage to get in one really good sneeze, however, on one of our farmhand's head. All of us found it quite humorous, except for the farmhand, of course. Mary also seemed pretty pleased with herself.

The vet has been out to see her twice since she arrived, which was a week ago this last Saturday. He took exays on his last visit, and lo and behold, we found out she does not have a rotated coffin bone nor does she have ringbone! She does have a spur on one coffin bone which will attribute to inflamation in the future. Proper hoof care should negate any problems, however. The vet is of the opinion Mary's hoof condition is do solely to previous owener's lack of hoof care. She has chronic founder, so we will be on the lookout for flareups constantly. He then said she would be sound by next summer! I had to ask him exactly what he meant by sound, for we had assumed she would be Auntie Mary to our weanling and new Fjords. He said she would be sound for driving and riding!!

The farrier also agreed with this, although he is thinking closer to spring.  All who have met Mary are in love, and we are already getting Mary and Fjord visitors! Things are going quite well, and we could not be happier. Mary is a doll!

Lynda and Daniel


Presently, there is a hold on her pending the outcome of a vet check. Vet was out today (7/17/99) and took x-rays. Depending on the results, we may have a home for her with a very nice lady who has gone to the expense to have this lovely mare checked out by a vet.

This mare was vet checked. She is foundered and their might be possible rotation of the coffin bone. From postings to a "Draft" board, her previous owner was found and I e-mailed her. The previous owner is the one who said she had rotation of the coffin bone that could come through at any time. The previous owner also stated that she is a registered Clydesdale and is 12 yrs. old. No papers available. At any rate, we received quite a volume of e-mail on this wonderful, wonderful girl. If all goes as expected, this gentle queen of a horse will be going to a wonderful couple. I have spent some time talking to them and feel that God is watching over this mare. This couple is sparing no expense to insure that this mare is comfortable on her ride home! Lynda and Dan are familiar with drafts, aware of this mare's foot problems and yet are still willing to give her a safe, responsible, healthy home. They have already been in contact with their farrier who has set up a schedule which he believes will help this mare to be sound in about a year. (I had heard this from the lady who had the vet check done also. Her farrier indicated it would take a year.) So, there is very much hope   indeed for this mare! Thank you Lynda & Dan!



True Innocents Equine Rescue (T.I.E.R)
17130 Van Buren Blvd., #45
Riverside, CA, 92504
Tel: 951-943-0627
Copyright © 1998-2020